Medieval and Renaissance Literature
Medieval and Renaissance literature is only one of many time periods in literature. Each of them has its characterizing features that I will write about in William Shakespeare’s tragedy “Romeo and Juliet”. As to the Medieval traditions I could mention:
* Time in human society. Man is limited in time and space. Time is percepted as a cycle, because things keep repeating. Children were supposed to live and do the same as their parents were living and working, etc.
* There were no nature descriptions and do not exist landscapes. Instead of that there were exaggerated pictures.
* Time cannot be divided into past, present and future. Time can exist only simultaneously.
- Good and Evilin Herman Melville’s Moby Dick, or The Whale
- Medieval and Renaissance Literature