Epistemic Modality in Financial Articles
|1.||Theory of epistemic modality||5|
|2.||Methods and Results of the Empirical Study||6|
1. The purpose of using epistemic modality is to show how sure the author is of his/her expressed utterances and how much an utterance connotes certainty or evidence.
2. Epistemic modality in financial articles is not used very often due to the fact that articles require concise facts, so there is not a lot of room for the author to speculate.
3. The most used modal verb of epistemic modality was WILL as it means strong epistemic modality; therefore it shows high level of certainty written in the articles.
4. The second most used modal verb of epistemic modality was WOULD because it represents probability with hypothetical situations and in financial articles it is common for author to predict the upcoming situation in financial markets.
- Epistemic Modality in Financial Articles
- Terminology in Music
- Use of the Internet when Learning or Teaching English
Enter an email address where the link will be sent:
Link to paper: